John provides solutions to engineering and construction businesses. His commercial judgement, strong expertise and clear advice provides clients with a real opportunity to control contract and legal risk. He is skilled in documenting engineering, construction and O&M contracts as well as innovative commercial arrangements. John has also resolved intractable disputes involving hundreds of millions of dollars and defended clients’ interests before judges, tribunals, adjudicators, regulators and special Commissions of Enquiry.
John learned those capabilities in his roles as general counsel, in-house lawyer and consultant in projects like:
- the Ichthys LNG onshore facility (investigating a major delay and disruption claim and helping project managers with contract administration);
- the Westconnex motorway (managing contentious property acquisitions and managing issues about legislative interpretation, government policy, administrative law, property tenure, procurement, construction, information access and privacy);
- the NSW electricity transmission network (negotiating engineering, procurement, construction and commercial contracts; managing commercial and construction litigation, security of payment claims, resolving disputes under the National Electricity Law and Rules; managing compulsory acquisitions; assuring directors and executive managers about regulatory risk, managing WHS prosecutions and environmental issues as well as providing advocacy to coronial and government enquiries); and
- Australia’s largest independent service station chain (in-housing the legal function, assuring corporate governance and regulatory compliance, resolving commercial and construction disputes and giving commercial advice).
He has also helped corporate and private clients:
- develop commercial, industrial, sub-regional and community retail projects;
- develop highrise, broadacre and mixed use residential projects;
- develop hospitals and social infrastructure projects;
- develop gas pipelines and gold mines;
- lease industrial facilities and commercial offices;
- operate hotels and serviced apartments;
- manage and buy rural portfolios;
- document and enforce real estate mortgages;
- place private equity in retail businesses;
- appeal against statutory valuations of regional and CBD retail properties and broadacre land banks; and
- obtain fair compensation for government acquisitions of a cement factory, engineering works, broadacre residential sites, retail showrooms, barristers chambers, medical practices, flats and commercial offices.
John specialises in:
- General counsel and advice;
- Engineering and construction contracts;
- Procurement methods;
- Contract administration;
- Site aggregation and buildability; and
- Litigation and dispute resolution.