Anish is an experienced construction lawyer and commercial litigator with a particular focus on building, construction, and engineering law disputes. Anish works closely with developers, builders, contractors, individuals, shareholders and directors, and corporations (both domestic and multinational) in a range of Australian jurisdictions and at the appellate level.
Anish likes to get to know his clients’ needs and produce results that align with those needs through negotiation, alternative dispute resolution, and, if required, litigation.
Anish is also a thought leader and regularly publishes articles and delivers presentations on recent amendments to or advancements in the areas of law in which he practices.
His significant matters include acting for:
- Several individuals and corporations, advising them on their rights and obligations under the Building and Construction Industry Security of Payment Act, the termination of building contracts and claims due to defective work and delays;
- A builder specialising in medium density residential developments in proceedings for freezing orders and over $1 million in unpaid progress claims and variations, an adjudication application, and further proceedings due to breaches of the freezing orders;
- An Owners Corporation in a claim against a Council for damages to rectify a mixed-used development that was incorrectly certified as compliant with the Building Code of Australia;
- A group of related rail engineering companies in a professional indemnity claim against their former accountants;
- Several developers in urgent applications to remove caveats;
- A company director in an application to set aside a Bankruptcy Notice based on an international arbitration award for AUD$9 million and conceived the single successful ground to set the notice aside (ie. the debt was not converted to Australian dollars using the ‘telegraphic rate of exchange’ required by the Bankruptcy Rules); and
- Several individuals, companies and liquidators in proceedings relating to Creditor’s Statutory Demands, Bankruptcy Notices, winding up and bankruptcy.
Anish’s practice areas are:
- Building, Construction and Engineering Law
- Property Law
- Dispute Resolution, Litigation and Debt Recovery
- Bankruptcy and Insolvency