Matthew is an associate with knowledge beyond his years, primarily in the areas of building and construction, commercial litigation and alternative dispute resolution.
During his career, Matthew has worked in a number of construction and litigation practices, where he has advised various stakeholders on complex commercial contracts and conducted complex litigation in the District Court, Supreme Court, Federal Court and the Court of Appeal.
Matthew also regularly provides contract administration advice to principals, head contractors and subcontractors throughout all stages of the construction project.
In addition, Matthew is proficient in the Security of Payment legislation throughout Australia and regularly advises claimants and respondents on their rights and entitlements under that legislation.
Highlights of Matthew’s work to date include:
- Advising property development companies on contractual rights and liabilities for acquisition of real property, where the value of the property has ranged from $20million to $130million and which has required injunctive relief in the Supreme Court of New South Wales;
- Advising various building companies in complex construction disputes in NSW, where the quantum of the issues in dispute has ranged from between $1million to $10million and have included issues such as defective works, latent conditions, variations, extensions of time, liquidated damages, delay damages and programming;
- Appearing at interlocutory and final hearings in the Local Court, District Court, Supreme Court, Federal Court and the Court of Appeal;
- Advising and acting for principals, contractors and subcontractors in each of the states in Australia on adjudication under the Security of Payment legislation, both as claimant and respondent, where the value of the quantum in dispute has exceeded $5million; and
- Drafting of and advising on complex head contracts, subcontracts, bespoke construction contracts and other commercial contracts, including contracts relating to the WestConnex project, where the contract value has ranged from $1 million to $7 million.