Matthew GrahamSenior Associate
Since being admitted to practice in 2007, Matthew has assisted clients primarily in the areas of commercial litigation, building and construction and alternative dispute resolution. Matthew has also advised and represented clients in the areas of equity, corporations law, local government and planning and Native Title / land rights.
Matthew started his career as a solicitor and later joined the bar for a period of five years. His time as a barrister provided Matthew with valuable experience in the conduct of complex litigation in various jurisdictions together with alternative dispute resolution processes, in particular mediation and arbitration. Matthew left the bar in early 2015 to work for a charitable organisation and then joined Kreisson in early 2016 to lead the Special Projects team.
Matthew is particularly adept at preparing and implementing strategic approaches to disputes that are calculated to achieve the specific commercial or other outcomes required by clients. Matthew always provides consistent, reliable, effective and ethical legal advice.
Highlights of Matthew’s work to date include:
- Advising on the contractual rights and liabilities, and assisting in the preparation of contractual claims, for a commercial party in a dredging joint venture in Queensland where the value of the dredging works contract was in excess of $100m;
- Acting for various building companies involved in a construction disputes in NSW where the quantum of the issues in dispute between the parties has ranged from $1m to in excess of $40m;
- Advising and acting for a major electrical services provider in relation to a power station project, where the combined value of issues in dispute between the parties exceeded of $15m;
- Assisting in the drafting of (and advising on the effect of) various types of contracts including employment contracts, contracts for the sale/purchase of goods, service provision contracts, construction contracts and contracts for the purchase of property.
- Assisting in the conduct of complex litigation for construction companies relating to projects valued at in excess of $10m;
- Advising and acting for subcontractors in NSW, QLD, WA and ACT to recover payments pursuant to the Building and Construction Industry Security of Payment Act 1999 (and equivalent legislation); and
- Appearing on behalf of various clients in hearings and interlocutory proceedings in the Local, District and Supreme Courts of NSW and the Federal Court of Australia.
Matthew is currently an associate member of the Resolution Institute (formerly the Institute of Arbitrators and Mediators Australia), a member of the Society of Construction Law Australia and a member of the NSW Bar Association.