David was admitted as a solicitor in 1985 and has since that time practised extensively as a litigator, problem solver and strategist in commercial and complex construction and engineering disputes.
During his career David has acted for a variety of banks, insurance companies, corporations, liquidators, construction companies, developers, major mechanical, fire, electrical engineering, civil and dredging contractors and subcontractors in a range of jurisdictions across Australia.
David has extensive experience in residential, commercial, industrial and infrastructure disputes in a variety of projects including:
- Complex Owners Corporation defect claims;
- Off shore infrastructure facilities in the value of $400 million;
- $1 billion power station in Queensland;
- NBN rollout and data centres;
- Shopping centres;
- Mining camps, ports, major dredging projects and resources infrastructure;
- Residential developments and contaminated land;
- Defence of Workcover prosecutions for industrial accidents involving fatalities;
- Electrical installations and Accredited Service Provider disputes in relation to contestable electrical works;
- Major hospitals, casinos, underground cabling, waste treatment plants and causeway construction;
- Telecommunications projects in excess of $400 million and ticket of work projects;
- Mechanical services disputes; and
- Advising on major construction commercial and infrastructure contracts ranging in value from $2 million to $400 million.
- In addition, David is experienced in the development and substantiation of complex construction and engineering claims and has a particular interest and expertise in time related claims for delay, disruption and acceleration. David regularly acts for clients in major claims under The Building and Construction Industry Security of Payments Act 1999 (NSW) and corresponding legislation throughout Australia and New Zealand.
As an experienced and conditioned litigator, David is skilled in the management of large scale and complex litigation and in the efficient and cost effective management of project support teams in that litigation.
David is also well experienced and seasoned in all forms of structured and unstructured alternative dispute resolution including formal and informal negotiations, mediations, expert determinations, reference hearings, arbitrations, Supreme Court and Federal Court proceedings and disputes involving ICC International Commercial Arbitration processes.
David is a regular presenter and educator to members of peak industry groups and clients and professional bodies in construction, engineering and related industries and provides training in contract and risk management in NSW, Queensland and South Australia.
Currently David is a member of the Law Society of NSW, Society of Construction Law of Australia, Master Builders Association of NSW and the Australian Centre for International Commercial Arbitration as a well as a director of various not-for-profit organisations.